Last Saturday I ran my first marathon. I had been training for it, but it was still TOUGH!
But I finished. And that is what matters most.
I felt great until about mile 15. My knees really started to hurt, and I had to run through it. Then at mile 20, I began to feel truly exhausted. People have told me about "the wall" before, but I had never experienced anything close to it in my long training runs. I just kept going, and continued to feel out of breath, and just plain tired. At mile 21, I had to walk for the first time (besides when I was 're-fueling' at the stations). I never should have walked! Once I started, I had a hard time motivating myself to run again. So I ran/walked/ran/walked the last 5 miles, and it killed my time. But again, I finished! The Hubby brought the kids out to the finish line with a sign they had made for me. I cried when I saw them. I was pretty happy to see the finish line too! My official time was 4:38. That is a long time to be running. Will I ever do another marathon? Not likely. But bring on the half-marathons!



6 comments:
Great job Boston, you are a rock star! I'm totally impressed, and that's a great time considering you walked a bit the last few miles. Plus, you look fantastic! -Shireen
Way to go, Boston! This is Kelly (Farley) Sharples. I'm training for my second half right now. I doubt I'll ever do the full.
So proud of you honey! Only I know of all the 5 am morning trainings (after feeding the baby at midnight) so that you could be back to feed the baby at 7:00 am again and get everyone ready for the day. We love you!!! I envy your tenacity. :)
I'm impressed that you'd even try it! You're amazing!!
Wow! Great job! You are impressive!
I am super duper proud of you! This was MIchael's cousins third Marathon and she is a serious runner. But she had problems exactly like you! In fact her house was along the route and she contemplated just running home around mile 18 cause her knees were hurting. But her family was waiting for her so she HAD to keep going. And she ended up walking most of the rest of it. So you're not alone! I think you did fabulous!
Post a Comment