Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Gentle Giant

A few weeks ago, we added another member to our family. It was way easier to just drive the car over and pick this one up rather than to give birth. But here he is:



I finally gave in and we got a dog. The only problem is that I don't like small dogs, only large ones (obviously). So we ended up with a great dane. We are absolutely in love with him. This is definitely the route to go! As much as I think puppies are adorable, getting a full grown dog is WAY better. He is not nearly as much work.

His name is Rocko and he is 4 years old. We got him from other owners that were looking to get rid of him. They had 2 great danes (can you imagine!?) and they were HIS dogs. They were pregnant with their first baby and SHE said they needed to go. So for $150 we got a great, fully trained dog, a pet bed, a 40 lb bag of food, a box of dog biscuits, chew bones, food and water bowls, 2 leashes, a tool to trim his nails, and few other items. Perfect for our first dog. I can take him running with me, he is wonderful with they boys and they LOVE him, and he isn't too high-energy so he's not too much work. And let me tell you--NOBODY will mess with you if you have a great dane. So there! :)

4 comments:

Cara said...

Wow! I'm almost sold! (My kids have been trying to convince us to get a dog for years!)

Peter and Emily said...

That is awesome! I will have to show Peter. Enjoy your new friend!

janae said...

HOLY COW. This was not something I was expecting. He's huge! When I was kid I loved great danes. I'm glad he's worked out so well so far!

Kelli said...

Awesome. After having our dogs at home growing up I insisted we get dogs when we got married, but I had already had a big dog, so we got two mini dachshunds. It's just not the same and a huge, lovable face and someone to lean on when watching tv on the floor! And so nice not to have to house train a puppy who eats everything too!