Saturday, July 5, 2008

Frustration!


I have a great baby that sleeps from about 6:30 to 6:30, so I know I shouldn't be complaining (I mean just look at him). But I thought since there are so many more experienced moms out there, maybe you could give some advice that will work. I have read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and Babywise. I have done all the things they suggest to help babies get on a good schedule. But little Scamper won't take good naps. He usually sleeps about 40 minutes or so, and he wakes up very ornery. His eyes are usually red and he is rubbing them and he just clings and clings to me. So I know he isn't sleeping enough (when he rarely sleeps more than an hour, he usually wakes up jabbering and squeals with delight when I come to get him, then immediately wants to get down and play). What am I doing wrong? Someone help!!!

7 comments:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

That IS frustrating! Have you tried leaving him in his bed to see if he can get himself back to sleep? Or, maybe he's ready to transition to one nap less than he's taking, just spacing them further apart. What do you think?

Jenni said...

Boston, I'm glad you found my blog. I've been wondering where you were and what you have been up to. It will be fun to catch up through blogs.
I don't know what to tell you about the nap thing. My daughter is a really good sleeper too and when there's a problem I'm also clueless as to what to do.

Peter and Emily said...

Hey Boss, that is truely amazing that he sleeps that long in the evening. I am not sure what to say about the nap thing but there was a book that helped me with adjusting Zach's sleep habits. It is written by this lady that calls herself the "sleep lady." The book is called "Good Night, Sleep Tight: The sleep lady's gentle guide to helping your child go to sleep, stay asleep, and wake up happy" The author is Kim West, I believe. Good luck in you quest

Cederberg Family said...

I wish that I could be a little more helpful with this specific topic, but I never know how long Regie is going to sleep for her nap. Either 20 minutes or three hours.

Oh... I have Kashayla's e-mail address for you! kashaylab@hotmail.com. I let her know and she is very excited!!!

GustoBones said...

MMMM, that is frustrating. It sounds like he wakes up pretty early in the morning, does he have a pretty early nap? I know for my kids, if I don't put them down early enough for their naps then they don't sleep as long. It's almost like there is a sweet spot and if I miss it, then a good nap is down the tubes. Good luck! Neither C nor J naps as good as K did. She used to sleep 3 hours every single day. Oh I miss thoseo afternoons of peace!

TNS MOM said...

Hi Boston, I have two different perspectives due to two different sleepers...when this happened with Tori it meant it was time to cut out the morning nap and only do an afternoon nap, which meant no car rides or anything like that from about 9:30am until after the nap. I would put her down around 11:00ish and then slowly moved it later. Sadie on the other hand needed to cry herself back to sleep during her nap cause even though she appeared awake she really wasn't, my rule was I didn't get her until she was happy. Good luck, it's hard just keep trying!

ellen said...

you are doing NOTHING wrong! babies are babies. some nap and some sleep well through the nights. he could be having a growth spurt, or it could be teethm or he just isn't a napper. ella is NOT a napper, never has been! elvis NEEDS his 2-3 hour afternoon nap or he is miserable (and so am i) spud...hasn't decided what he likes though. sounds like scamper is a power napper. afer a few kids and trying all kinds of things i have learned (at least for myself) that no matter how hard you try, some kids just have their own schedule and their own agenda. maybe i am lazy but i just conform. as long as he is getting some kind of nap in the day 1 or 2 times a day he is fine. he gets a good 12 hr stretch each night...you are doing WAY more than something right!!! we miss you! how was the hs musical? wish we could have seen you!